banner

 

 

Holy Cross: Chatton

chatton Church chatton Church chatton Church chatton Church chatton Church chatton Church

The original building was granted to Alnwick Abbey between 1157-1184 by the Norman Baron of Alnwick, William de Vesci. It’s thought that the monks of Alnwick used to spend the summer months at Chatton. After the dissolution of the monasteries, the patronage was vested in the Earldom of Percy.

It is thought that the first church was destroyed in the 13th century. A second church on a site nearer to the river was subjected to flooding and burned down early in the 18th century although the walls survived. William Burrell, the vicar, started restoration work, though the place is reported to have been in ruins for many years and possibly was afflicted by fire. Rebuilding work started in earnest in 1770 in the early gothic revival style.

The Church organ, still in use, is a rare piece by G.M. Holdich, formerly of House College, Oxford. It is possibly one of the oldest organs in the county of Northumberland.

bottom of logo pic
church number

Chatton

Holy Cross

Grade II

1770


Church Services

info to follow


opening hours

Open all hours

churchyard

Churchyard

transport

Public Transport nearby